Thursday, May 13, 2010
An Allergic Reaction
Poor Ryan seems to be allergic to coconut. That is the only thing I can think of that he has had that was different lately. I gave him a pineapple and raw coconut smoothie before his nap yesterday and he woke up starting to get puffy. He has had coconut milk many times in food that I've made all his life but I cracked open an actual coconut yesterday and used the meat in the smoothie. He had a well child doctor's appointment later that day and by the time we got into the room with the nurse the hives had started popping out all over his belly and chest. His eyes were getting swollen but the worst of it was on his trunk and legs to his knees and arms around where a short sleeve shirt would end. By night time he was looking pretty sorry with deep red patches practically covering his body and puffy face and ears. His ears were huge! We gave him Benedryl in hopes that when he woke up he would be back to normal. I took pictures before bed but realized this morning that the SD card wasn't in the camera, too bad.
This is what he looked like this morning. Ears aren't nearly as big and the hives on his body are light in color and not as bad.
Hives on his face are pretty pronounced though, these are much worse than they were last night.
Eyes are much worse than last night. His hands are puffy too. He hasn't had any respiratory problems so we are lucky there. He still seems his normal, happy self though, just looking pretty sad. I hope it clears up soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That bites.
poor little man...Bummer...
That's terrible. Hope it never happens again. Poor little guy.
Poor Ryan I hope it clears up soon!
Poor guy - though I can think of lots worse things to be allergic to. I'm not a fan of coconut myself.
I hope that after a reaction like that, the doctor wrote you a prescription for an Epi-pen. You will definitely want to have one on hand now.
poor little guy!
WOW ! Poor thing ! So funny that his ears got huge :) Glad that it hasn't affected his breathing. Good luck.
Yeah. We took him to an allergist, and he was cleared of all major allergies and coconut.
Don't know what did it, but I did learn that a couple of other people in the school district were bit by gnats around the same time and puffed up similar to Ryan. (Not a scientific test, but definitely coincidental...
Post a Comment