Monday, February 16, 2009

I thank God for life!

I usually don't like posting without a picture, don't really like using this blog as a journal for me but more for the kids but I'm making an exception for this post.

I truly am blessed that me and my family are alive right now. On Saturday night we were traveling to Washington to visit my parents and 4 hours before our destination we hit a patch of black ice while using our cruise control (apparently not a good thing to use cruise control if the roads are or could be wet and icy, didn't know that before). Our truck slid and hit a reflector pole on the passenger side of the truck and then rolled into the median. I don't know how many times it rolled, I think it was just one full rotation, we ended up back on the wheels in the middle of the median. The truck shell came off when the truck landed on its top and stayed put when the truck landed on its wheels. Most everything that was in the back of the truck stayed in the shell with a few of the loose things scattering a few yards away.

After the screaming stopped (me and the kids) and the truck stopped moving I checked quickly to see if the kids were okay. Leah, Ryan and I were sitting in the back seat of the truck, all buckled in and safe. Ryan had snow all over him and a tiny scrape on his chin from the seat belt buckle. Leah later said her stomach hurt but has not complained of it since. We were all safe. Lance had his hands on the top of the steering wheel and got some pretty good cuts from the shattered windshield on his hands but didn't need stitches. I got out of the truck with Ryan wrapped up in a blanket to see what the damage was. Almost immediately a stranger stopped to help. They came over and helped me and the kids into their warm car to wait for the police to come. The driver happened to be a volunteer first responder ambulance driver so he took charge of the scene and helped us know what to do. It wasn't until I got into the warm car that I realized I had a pretty bad seat belt burn, no blood, just tender. The next day I had quite a bruise. Once the first responder ambulance arrived we left the warm car and got checked out. The kids were given a teddy bear each, Leah seemed to calm down and Ryan just ate the tag. There was no need for us to go to the hospital. They didn't have little bandaids for Lance's hands so they wrapped them up with gauze. This scared Leah pretty badly when she saw them. It took her a few minutes to calm down and be okay. Then, because she isn't a car sleeper, she started to get crazy tired giddy and had the paramedics laughing at her crazy antics. Glad to know she wasn't too shaken up by the whole thing!

I couldn't help thinking how bad things were. How were we going to get to my parent's house, how were we going to get home after that, how were we going to replace the truck (I was assuming it was going to be totaled)? I did keep reminding myself what a miracle it was that we were alive and thanking God because of it but I couldn't put the other thoughts behind me. I think I was in shock. I kept fixating on my lost cell phone and how they wouldn't be able to find it because it was white in the white snow. We didn't get service in that area so we couldn't just call it.

Finally the tow truck arrived and the tow men picked up all the scattered stuff and put it in our ruined truck. It took a bit to get the truck on the tow bed. All said and done, the major damage was on the top of the cab and the windshield. Both doors opened and shut well enough and the back seemed fine. All this was seen at night since I haven't seen the truck in the daylight yet. I am glad I was in the back though, since it was the passenger side that hit the hardest in the rollover process. We had purchased new carseats just a week ago so I'm pretty sure this is why the kids were kept so safe. The old ones were fine, just outdated and not as great as the new ones. We were taken to La Grande, Oregon (we were 20 miles east of La Grande when we crashed) and dropped off at a motel, we got what luggage we needed for the night and said goodbye to the truck. It was locked up in the tow yard.

My Dad drove down the next morning to come and get us. While waiting for my Dad we decided to go to church. We called the local meating house and were able to arrange for someone to come and pick us up. It was nice of them to do this for us and it was nice to be able to go to church. The ward was so friendly and nice, at first I think they thought we had moved in and they were excited for new blood. Lots of people were willing to help out if we needed anymore help. There was a really great spirit in all the meetings. My Dad and Lance will go back to La Grande tomorrow to pick up the rest of our stuff. We are pretty sure the truck is totaled so there shouldn't be a need to take care of it.

My sister graciously offered us her 2 round trip plane tickets so we can get home. We are looking for a new car, a minivan since that is what we were going to get anyway, just not for another year. I think unless we find a really great deal on a car we will probably just fly, then we don't have to worry about the roads again.

I am definately greatful we all walked away with as little physical damage as we did. I'm angry that we got in a wreak and right now I'm still a little angry at God for allowing this to happen. I prayed about when we needed to leave Saturday moring and felt that it would be okay for us to leave around 1:00 pm (we ended up leaving at 2). Why did I feel okay about leaving when we did if we still got into an accident? I'll have to work this one out and come to terms with it all. It is easier to stuff it all away and just be glad we are all safe.

9 comments:

Cynthia and Bryan said...

WOW ! So glad you all are safe ! try and enjoy the rest of your trip. Glad the bumbles handled it okay.

Steph K said...

That is so scary! I'm glad you guys are ok. I live near Burley and if you need anything on your way home just let me know. At one point on your trip you were only 3 miles from my house. My phone number is 208-431-8612.

Stephanie Kunzler

Rachel B said...

I am so glad that you are all okay, and I appreciate the details. It was nice for us to read, and It is always good to write things out when we are working through them...Try not to focus to much on why, and what could have happened. It usually does not make any sense. Not to trivialize what you are going through, but You were protected...just now, dealing with the aftermath can't be fun. I felt sick when Kimm first told me about it, but I am just so glad you are all okay. Cars and trucks are replaceable...but we would never be able to replace any of you!!!

Ginni Bingham LeVar said...

Thanks for your comment Rachel, I appreciate your concern for us. Yes you are correct, everything else but our life is replaceable. I'm so glad my babies are safe.

Unknown said...

Crazy! I am gald that you are all safe too! Let us know when you get back to Provo. IF you need a ride from the airport or anything. call me 400-1648

Leah said...

I'm so sorry! That is so scary. I'm really glad that you're all okay. Wow. Thank heavens for guardian angels, right?

Unknown said...

I am SO glad you are well. It really brings perspective. We love you guys and are so happy to know you are safe. Talk to you soon...(we love our honda van...) love Em

Lance said...

Steph,

thank you for your kind words. We are going to be flying home. Ginni's sister offered her two round trip tickets to get us back. Our truck was totaled, and we don't want to buy a new car here. Please, we really don't want to drive back. I think we are done with winter trips.

Laura Dewey said...

I'm so thankful you guys are okay too! I think I talked to you right after you got back but I had no idea. I'm sorry you had to go through that.