Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ryan's nose adventure

Ryan has had something stuck in his nose for a week or more.  I thought it was just congestion because he had been sick with the mystery virus after our family reunion, but came to realize it was more than that. I thought maybe it was just a really large boogie that wouldn't come out since he refuses to blow his nose.  We took him to the Dr. and found out it was something "foreign".  After a painful, yet unsuccessful attempt to remove it we were sent home in the hope that it would migrate back down and we would then have to go back to the Dr. on Monday and get it removed.  We were told to use an aspirator to see if we could suction the mass down again.  I could see that bright green something lurking just out of reach when I peered into his nose with a flashlight.  Bright green??? What would he have put up his nose??? 

I decided I would at least attempt to apply tweezers to that mystery object and see if I could reach it.  After a few quick attempts I was able to pull it out.  What was it?  Part of the old egg crate mattress we mistakenly thought he would leave alone when we put it right next to his crib.  He had been pulling the tips off and so I moved it away but that was about 2 weeks ago.  He has had this thing up his nose for 2 weeks or more...  I feel like a bad mommy for letting it go for so long.  At least now though he is breathing normally and doesn't sound congested!  Hurray for tweezers!!!

5 comments:

Lori LeVar Pierce said...

Two stories to relate to make you feel as though your son is perfectly normal (at least in our family). As a child, I have heard the story of Mom and Dad taking me to the dr for a runny nose and discovering newspaper stuck up it.

The other is that twice I took William to the dr only to discover that he had paper stuck in his ears. The first time it was the tab from a set of scriptures (you know the ones that labels the different books). I was able to get them out with tweezers - very delicately.

Hope Ryan is better now.

Kimmby said...

OH MY GOSH! Hilarious!!! I don't think you are a bad mom. Ryan is a naughty boy for sticking stuff up his nose. :)

Lance said...

The real question is "What exactly was he thinking?"

Maybe, "Hmm, this looks green just like my boogers. Maybe it should go up my nose"?!?!

Rachel B said...

Poor Ryan. Glad you got it out.

Unknown said...

Poor Ryan! That is crazy! I am glad it is out and he is breathing easier.